Hiring a domestic helper can be a significant task, especially when the helper is anticipated to play a large role in your family. The interview stage is a critical part of this process. Here, we present some essential domestic helper interview questions to help you identify the best candidate for your family.
It's important to ask about the domestic helper's previous employers. Questions such as "How many past employers have you had?" and "Why did you leave your current job?" can provide valuable insights. For example:
1. Can you describe your main responsibilities with your past employer?
2. How long did you work for your previous employer?
3. Why did you leave your last job?
4. What were your daily duties with your past employers?
5. Can you provide the contact number of your current employer for a reference?
6. Please describe your daily routine at your previous job?
7. Did you have your own room at your past jobs?
8. What was the reason for leaving your current contract?
Personal questions can reveal much about a candidate's background. It's a good idea to inquire about the domestic helper’s marital status, children, parents, and future plans, for instance:
1. Do you get to see your parents often? Are they in good health?
2. Are you married? Do you have children?
3. How does your family feel about you working in other countries?
4. What are your plans for the future?
5. What do you usually do in your free time?
6. What do you hope to achieve by working as a domestic helper in Hong Kong?
7. Do you have siblings? Are they also working abroad?
8. How often do you visit your home country?
Cooking skills and familiarity with household chores are vital for most helpers. In the interview, ask the domestic helper questions about their ability to cook, follow recipes, and handle household appliances:
1. Can you cook? What types of food can you prepare?
2. Are you comfortable following recipes?
3. Can you operate common household appliances?
4. Do you have experience with special diets or food allergies?
5. What household chores are you most comfortable with?
6. How do you prioritize tasks in your daily schedule?
7. Can you describe a typical working day in your current job?
8. Are you comfortable doing laundry, ironing, and organizing the house?
If the domestic helper's duties involve taking care of children or the elderly, ask relevant questions in the interview to assess their experience and skills:
1. Do you have experience taking care of children or elderly individuals?
2. Can you handle a newborn baby? Do you know any nursery rhymes?
3. Do you have first-aid training or any medical background?
4. How would you handle an emergency situation with a child or an elderly person?
5. What activities would you suggest for kids during their free time?
6. How would you handle a situation where the child refuses to eat or sleep?
7. What would you do if a child or an elderly person in your care felt sick?
8. How do you ensure the safety of children or elderly individuals under your care?
Scenario questions in the domestic helper interview can help you determine how a candidate might react in real life situations:
1. How would you handle a situation if you accidentally broke something?
2. If you were not able to finish your tasks for the day, what would you do?
3. How would you deal with a disagreement with your employer?
4. What would you do if you didn't understand the instructions given by your employer?
5. If the kids are fighting, how would you manage the situation?
6. How would you react if the elderly person you're caring for becomes uncooperative or difficult?
7. If you felt sick and couldn't perform your duties, what would you do?
8. In case of an emergency at home while the family members are out, how would you handle it?
To ensure that the prospective domestic helper is a good fit for your family, you should ask interview questions that pertain to your family's lifestyle and preferences:
1. Are you comfortable with pets, and do you have any allergies?
2. How do you feel about caring for a family with children, elderly, or individuals with special needs?
3. Can you adjust to a different food and sleep schedule if needed?
4. How do you feel about living in a house with multiple family members?
5. Are you okay with having your day off on a weekday instead of a weekend?
6. How do you plan to spend your public holidays and free time?
7. Do you have any restrictions or preferences we should know about?
8. Are you comfortable with our expected salary and work schedule?
Remember, the goal of the interview is not just to ask the right questions but also to listen carefully to the answers. The responses to these domestic helper interview questions can give you a clear idea of whether the candidate is suitable for your family's needs.
Pay attention to the details, and remember, hiring a domestic helper is not just about their skills and experiences but also about their personality and compatibility with your family's lifestyle. Happy interviewing!
Looking for the right domestic helper for your family? Sunlight is here to simplify your search. We have a list of experienced candidates ready to meet your unique needs. Start your hiring journey with us today for a smoother, more effective process. Reach out to Sunlight now - your ideal domestic helper is just a call away!